Thursday, August 27, 2009
Our readers now receive points as they upload media, add friends, or rate and comment on other readers' media. We're thanking some of our newest SuperMembers—those who have reached 20,000 points over a time period—with free one-year subscriptions or subscription renewals to Budget Travel
FROM OUR BLOG: THIS JUST IN
Searching for tickets in English will yield prices that are significantly higher than if you use a country's native language. Here's how to book through foreign websites, which can save you up to 40 percent on train tickets.
Booking a hybrid rental car can be a big hassle. To boost your chance of scoring one of these green rides, follow Budget Travel
's advice in four easy steps.
CALLING ALL READERS
Share Your Hometown Favorites
We want to hear from savvy locals in San Juan, Puerto Rico
, and in Vancouver, B.C.
! Share your secret spots, and we'll publish the best recommendations in upcoming issues of Budget Travel
It's not too late to book a summer getaway! These hotel packages in Orlando, New Orleans, Myrtle Beach, S.C., and more offer amenities and discounted rates.
why they're a deal
- Iceland, Air/2 Nights, From $469
- Turkey, Air/12 Nights, From $1,699
- Nicaragua, Air/7 Nights, From $739
- Morocco, Air/6 Nights, From $1,899
- England & Scotland, 5 Nights, From $749
THIS WEEK'S HIGHLIGHTS
A gorgeous landscape shot from Vietnam
, by member kevinummel
: "For me, this shot is all about the color contrasts. It's like the colors are facing off against each other."
From our (endless!) sunset series
, this week's best are from Sausalito, Calif.
); Mazatlán, Mexico
); Lake Mendota in Madison, Wis.
); and Tahiti
Plus, more of our favorites:
- In Botswana, a satisfied leopard rests in a tree, just after eating an impala, by member pmallahan.
- A dramatic sky at Chimney Rock, Colo., from member dardunstan.
- A French pastoral home to die for, right on the Seine River, by member drcurtin.
- In Rome, member shattman took this nice detail of museum statuary.
- A glimpse into Sweden's Eskilstuna, near Lake Mälaren, from member rovert05.
- Portraits: identically dressed kids in Seoul, South Korea, by member marinat.
- A thoughtful buffalo gazes back at member stanandjan, in Jackson Hole, Wyo.
- A stunning shot of the Fairmont Empress Hotel on Vancouver Island, B.C., from member ericrwise.
© 2009 Newsweek Budget Travel, Inc. Budget Travel 530 Seventh Avenue 2nd Floor New York, NY 10018