Thursday, August 13, 2009
STRANGER THAN FICTION
On your next trip, you could be checking in to a wine cask, a salvaged 727 airplane, or a room where the furniture defies the law of gravity.
FROM OUR BLOG: THIS JUST IN
Earlier this year we gave kudos to Avis and Budget for adding satellite TV to rental cars. A reader wrote us to express her disappointment, arguing that Budget Travel
should instead encourage parents to get their kids to look out the window and observe the world as they travel. What do you think about in-car video screens?
post a comment now
Our favorite apps work with or without Internet access. Because, chances are, Wi-Fi hotspots aren't the only places you'll need help with the local lingo.
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT…
Luxury for Less in Vegas
Turns out that, with a little ingenuity, these days you can get it all for the price of taking your family to the movies… New York Food Trucks Go Gourmet
You can get everything from red-velvet cupcakes to grass-fed burgers from these trucks… The Most Beautiful Castles
They may no longer be used for repelling enemy hordes, but these castles still have their rugged good looks.
Explore Mexico's Pacific coast from the 2,501-passenger Radiance of the Seas
—stops include Ixtapa, Mazatlán, and Puerto Vallarta.
why it's a deal
- Athens and Mykonos, Air/6 Nights, From $1,179
- Hawaii, Air/3 Nights, From $505
- Thailand, Air/6 Nights, From $1,099
- New York City Hotels, From $139 a Night
- Toronto, Air/3 Nights, From $407
THIS WEEK'S HIGHLIGHTS
A humpback whale breaches off Maui, from member Youngster
In our (endless!) sunset series
, this week's best are from Key West, Fla.
(member Ruth Engel
), Rajasthan, India
), Tel Aviv, Israel
), and Arches National Park, Utah
Also: Thanks for your continuing uploads to our growing national parks photo series
This week's star members:
Plus, more of our favorites:
- Note to member paristoflorence: We love us some Italy, too. Thanks especially for your vibrant, colorful snaps from Italy's Corniglia and Manarola.
- A tranquil sea view in Santorini, Greece, from member Ruth Engel. (That's two great shots from Ruth this week. Thanks for sharing.)
- A great detail of some Carnaval masks, from Rio de Janeiro, by member jpeltz121.
- Faces: Indian girls in Agra, India, by member anovitske.
- Unexpected: A resplendently dressed group of monks in Japan, from member faberman.
- A great shot of an old car on Beale Street in Memphis, from member dlj668.
- Member bevandlee's thoughtful perspective on Hawa Mahal, a palace in Jaipur, India.
© 2009 Newsweek Budget Travel, Inc. Budget Travel 530 Seventh Avenue 2nd Floor New York, NY 10018